The church of Santa Corona (English)
Updated to: 01/04/2022
The church construction, laid on Dominican foundations, was started in 1261 to keep the holy thorn relic, that was donated by Louis IX, King of France, to Vicenza’s bishop, Beato Bartolomeo da Breganze.
The interiors are in Gothic style; the presbytery was made by Lorenzo da Bologna in the second half of the fifteenth century, and it has many and important paintings and sculptures. Among these works, there are Giovanni Bellini masterpiece “The Baptism of Christ”, located on Garzadori altar, attributed to Rocco da Vicenza, and Paolo Veronese “Adoration of the Magi”. Also, there are Lorenzo Veneziano and Marcello Frogolino “Madonna of the Stars”, Bartolomeo Montagna great altarpiece “Mary Magdalene and Saints”, and Giambattista Pittoni “Madonna with Child and Saints”. In the church apse, there is the remarkable wooden choir, carved and inlaid, made by Pier Antonio dell’Abate. Among the most ancient decorations, there are Michelino Besozzo frescos in the Thiene Chapel, dated back to the early fifteenth century, clear examples of the most updated international gothic style.
To allow visitors to gain a better understanding the intense work done to renovate this monument is possible to get a look at the illustrative boards located in the crypt.
Website Unesco (goo.gl/rMYwBn)
The church of Santa Corona is provided with a free digital guide, available for smartphones and tablets, both in Italian and in English. Just scan the QR code at the church entrance or download the digital guide app on Apple store or Play store, or connect to http://chiesadisantacorona.vicenza.it/
Santa Corona’s church digital guide and the new didactic signage were made thanks to the contribution of the foundation Giuseppe Roi.
As the church of San lorenzo, the church of Santa Corona too is equipped with tactile maps for sight-impaired people.
For the 2021-2023 three-year period, the educational service of Vicenza’s Civic Museums has been assigned to Scatola Cultura, a non-profit cooperative that offers a very far-reaching program, with several types of educational courses for the various age brackets, from primary school to high school.
Download here the brochure with educational activities
For information on educational activities:
tel. 3483832395, firstname.lastname@example.org, https://scatolacultura.it/
For bookings: Call Centre: +39 0444 964380 – Monday to Friday 9:00 to 18:00, Saturday 9:00 to 14:00.
Privates, concessions for events and shows
It is possible to inquire about hosting appropriate events in Santa Corona’s church. For more information, please contact the Cultural and Museum Activities Service (tel. 0444222121).
Where and when
The church of Santa Corona
Address: Contra' Santa Corona 2
Phone: 0444320854 (Iat, Tourist reception information)
- Winter openings: from 1 September to 30 June, from Tuesday to Sunday from 9 am to 5 pm (on Saturday it reopens at 5.30 pm for the Holy Mass, free entrance)
- Summer openings, from July the 1st to August the 31st: from Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am to 6 pm (on Saturday it closes at 5 pm and reopens at 5.30 pm for the mass)
Closing: Monday, 25th december and the 1st of January
Special openings for public holidays 2022: 6th January, 17th, 18th and 25th April, 1st May, 2nd June, 15th August, 8th September, 31th October, 1st November, 8th and 26th December
Iat, Tourist reception information
Address: Piazza Matteotti 12
- from September to June: everyday from 9 am to 5.30 pm
- July and August: everyday form 9 am to 6 pm
- closing days: 25th December and 1st January
Booking is mandatory for groups and schools (Olympic Theater and Palazzo Chiericati City Museum):
- Call center 0444964380 (Operating from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 1 pm, and from 2 pm to 6 pm (closing days: 25th of December and the 1st of January)
- Email: email@example.com
- groups (min 10 max 25 people): 10 euro
- schools: 5 euro a class
Infopoint and Ticket Office
Address: Piazza dei Signori
- from 11st December 2021 to 18th April 2022: from Tuesday to Sunday, from 10 am to 6 pm (Monday closed)
- from 19th April 2022: from Tuesday to Sunday, from 9 am to 5 pm (Monday closed)
Website: Consorzio Vicenza è