Basilica palladiana (English)
Updated to: 03/05/2022
The Basilica Palladiana is a symbolic building of Vicenza, north-eastern Italy. It is well-known for the loggia on orders of serlians, designed by the great architect Andrea Palladio, which surrounds the medieval Palazzo della Ragione, and became heritage of Unesco in 1994.
Between 2007 and 2012, the Basilica was restored thanks to the essential contribution of the Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio of Verona Vicenza Belluno and Ancona. It has been reopened on October 5th 2012, in conjunction with the great exhibit “Raffaello verso Picasso. Storie di sguardi, volti e figure”.
On May 9th 2014, the Basilica Palladiana became a National Monument thanks to the draft law approved on March 27th 2014 during its deliberation by the Culture Committee of the Senate. On May 5th 2014, during the Basilica Palladiana’s restore, it has been assigned in Vienna the “European Union Prize for Cultural Heritage/ 2014 Europa Nostra Award” for the cultural heritage preservation.
Set-up of "Great exhibitions in the Basilica" compacted into a "cube"
Not visible for the preparation of the exhibition “La Fabbrica del Rinascimento. Processi creativi, mercato e produzione a Vicenza”
During the visit to the hall, you can admire the 8 metres by 8 metres metallic structure, 3.5 metres high.
It is a novel and virtuous architectonic solution from a technical and economic viewpoint.
The walls making up the set-up consist of modular blocks in black metal, with mechanisms that allow them to be easily shifted around and connected in order to create the chosen layout.
Currently underway is a project that will allow the walls of the cube to be used to tell the story of the Palladian Basilica, thereby offering visitors some cues to deepen their knowledge of the monument during the visit.
Ground floor, Loggia and lounge partially visible (discounted price)
- From 11st Dicember 2021 to 8th May 2022: from Tuesday to Sunday, from 10 am to 6 pm (last admission half an hour before closing time)
- From 13th May 2022 to 31st December 2022: from Tuesday to Sunday, from 10 am to 6 pm (last admission half an hour before closing time)
- From 9th to 12th May 2022
By booking with the call centre: reservation fee EUR 1.50 for individual visitors; EUR 5 for groups of 10 to 25 people
By booking online: reservation fee + 10% of the ticket price, valid for groups residing outside the province of Vicenza
By booking with the call centre: reservation fee EUR 1.50 for individual visitors; EUR 5 for classes)
- residents in Vicenza and province
- students up to 25 years of age with student card or university record book
- FAI members with card
- Italian Touring Club members with card
- Isic members with card
- Ctg members with card
- free admission events
- residents outside the Province of Vicenza with entry in the evening after 18:00 during opening hours of the bar service (if available), with possibility of visiting loggias and terraces
- residents outside the Province of Vicenza in the event of partial visit to the Monument
- free admission events
- residents in Vicenza and province with entry in the evening after 18:00 during opening hours of the bar service (if available), with possibility of visiting loggias and terraces
- residents in Vicenza and province in the event of partial visit to the Monument
Subscription for evening entry to the terrace of the Palladian Basilica during the opening of the bar
EUR 10 (valid for 6 months from date of purchase)
- Kids up to the age of 17 included, no school groups (upon presentation of a valid ID document)
- ICOM members - International Council of Museums (upon presentation of a valid ID document)
- Tour guides and tour leaders only with group (upon presentation of a valid ID document)
- Italian and foreign journalists (upon presentation of a valid document attesting their membership to the association)
- Military and law enforcement officials (upon presentation of a valid ID document)
- Teachers only if accompanying school groups
- People with disabilities and their accompanying persons
- Twinned cities or cities linked to Vicenza through a friendship agreement (free access to the host class and to the hosted foreign class)
- Accademia Olimpica and its guests: free access to Teatro Olimpico
Archaeological area of Corte dei Bissari
In the basements of the Basilica Palladiana there is the Archeological site of “Corte dei Bissari”.
The archaeological area allows visitors to immerse themselves in the living reality of a distant but crucial epoch to better understand the events that preceded the Palladian Renaissance. Not only ancient stored structures have been recovered, but also a selection of archeological materials retrieved during the excavation, shown in some reserved showcases, respectively, to the Protohistoric Age (VII-II century B.C.), to the first Romanization (II-I century B.C.), and to the Roman and Late Roman Age (I-V century A.D.). One showcase, located at the Langobardic burial reconstruction, keeps a precious golden cross. Thus, the site includes most of Vicenza history, from its foundation, made by the ancient Venetians, to the Renaissance, and also the main attraction, that generates much interest, a residential area urban reconstruction of the ancient Vicetia, at that time adjacent to the city forum.
The archeological site is 150 square meters and has a walkway, from which is possible to see, through the transparent glass floor, the remains of the original Roman road. The path also provides related explanatory materials with titles, subtitles, and captions, also in English.
Visits with the archaeologist
Only by booking (minimum 24 hours beforehand):
- Thursday: 30-minute visits from 10 am to 12 pm
- Saturday: 30-minute visits from 2 pm to 6 pm
Visits with fixed departure on Saturdays in February, March and April
Information and reservations:
Visitors will be led to the archaeological area by a Scatola Cultura (Culture Box) escort who will provide accurate explanations.
You will be admitted to the archaeological area from the main entrance of the Basilica Palladiana, in Piazza dei Signori.
for visits on Thursday and Saturday: EUR 4 per person. The minimum rate of EUR 20 per shift will apply to a minimum number of visitors (from 5 to 7 persons).
You will have to wear the mask and keep a distance of one metre from people.
Body temperature will be measured at the entrance: you will not be admitted if a temperature of 37.5°C is exceeded.
For the 2021-2023 three-year period, the educational service of Vicenza’s Civic Museums has been assigned to Scatola Cultura, a non-profit cooperative that offers a very far-reaching program, with several types of educational courses for the various age brackets, from primary school to high school.
Download here the brochure with educational activities
For information on educational activities:
tel. 3483832395, email@example.com, https://scatolacultura.it/
For bookings: Call Centre: +39 0444 964380 – Monday to Friday 9:00 to 18:00, Saturday 9:00 to 14:00.
This museum is the first in Italy and one of the few worldwide to be dedicated exclusively to jewellery. The Jewellery Museum (https://www.museodelgioiello.it/en), a permanent museum space of 410 square metres inside the Palladian Basilica, is a project first developed by Italian Exhibition Group in partnership with the City Council of Vicenza.
The new Museum, offers an original, varied aesthetic and educational jewellery experience, enhancing items with ancient origins, deeply rooted in human culture.
Privates, concessions for events and shows
For the exclusive use of the terrace (for a maximum of 150 people), the loggia (for a maximum of 350 people), the hall on the noble floor (for a maximum of 90 people) and the Domus Comestabilis room (for a maximum of 50 people), please refer to the Cultural and museum activities service (email: firstname.lastname@example.org- number 0444222122 - fax 0444222155).
Prices and forms available at: http://www.museicivicivicenza.it/it/other/condizioni.php
Celebration of civil weddings and civil unions
It is possible to book the terrace or the Domus Comestabilis room to celebrate civil weddings or civil unions in the Basilica.
For more info:
Where and when
Address: Piazza dei Signori
Website: Civic Museums Vicenza
Infopoint and Ticket Office
Address: Piazza dei Signori
- from 11st December 2021 to 18th April 2022: from Tuesday to Sunday, from 10 am to 6 pm (Monday closed)
- from 19th April 2022: from Tuesday to Sunday, from 9 am to 5 pm (Monday closed)
Website: Consorzio Vicenza è