The Dominican church was built in 1261 to house the relic of the Holy Thorn donated by Louis IX, king of France, to the bishop of Vicenza, the Blessed Bartolomeo da Breganze. The Gothic interior, with chancel by Lorenzo da Bologna from the second half of the fifteenth century, houses many important sculptural works and paintings.
These include Giovanni Bellini’s masterpiece “The Baptism of Christ”, in the Garzadori altar by Rocco da Vicenza, and the “Adoration of the Magi” by Paolo Veronese. There is also a “Madonna of the Stars”, by Giovanni da Bologna and Marcello Fogolino, and a “Virgin, Child and Saints” by Giambattista Pittoni. The apse is furnished with a fine wooden choir, carved and inlaid by Pier Antonio dell’Abate. The frescoes by Michelino da Besozzo in the Thiene Chapel are among the earliest decorations, dating from the early fifteenth century and offering a mature example of the International Gothic style.